Monday, February 14, 2011

The Littlest Hen Grows Up

I am still around just in case anyone missed me for a day... yeah, all my followers I'm sure missed me! 
On Sunday, my BB loaded our updated version of anti-virus software since our old one was about to expire.  BUT, that dowload caused our computer to exceed it's daily allocation of downloads, so our internet account was frozen for 24 hours.  Leave it to Hughes.net.... however, since I only have the satellite option living in the boonies, that's what I have to live with.  Having no internet did give me an excuse to get out of the house and do some outside chores that have been neglected all winter.  The weather was perfect for working outside too!  I got some mowing done, some ditch work done, some weed pulling done, picked up butt loads of branches that have come off the trees over the winter months, cleaned up the barn a little, took some great pictures, and really enjoyed the sunshine for a change.

We had a big day in the chicken community too.  My littlest hen became a chicken-woman yesterday.  She laid her first egg.  The first eggs are always so little, but she was the proudest chicken around.  This little hen lost her Momma to a Bobcat a couple of months ago, so she was the low hen on the pecking order.  So laying an egg FINALLY ensures her a place in the flock.  Now she's not just the baby that gets picked on.....she's a big chicken now!  I just love my chickens.  They are so much fun.  I wish everyone could have chickens.  They have such personalities!  And there is no better egg than one that is freshly laid.


So now let me introduce another pet - my horse Black Jack, or just Jack for short.  He's a Quarter Horse and is 12 years old.  I have owned him for 7 years.  He's a really sweet horse, but I haven't ridden him in about 2 years now.  He's a big butt head sometimes and bucked me off once, but that isn't why I haven't ridden him.  I had foot surgery, then got busy with major house projects, personal obstacles in the family to deal with, and before you know it, it's been 2 years since I've been in the saddle.  That's going to change this year, if it's the last thing I do!  Of course, I'm going to have to start fresh with the basics again... I'm sure he's forgotten everything he knows about manners in the saddle.  Not that he isn't a good horse, he just likes to try his rider until you let him know you're the boss.  He's been perfectly happy being a pasture pet I'm sure.  He has his two donkey brothers to keep him company.  BUT, it's time Mom started paying him a little more attention.  He loves, loves, loves to be groomed and will stand for hours to be brushed.  He also loves kids, and I know that is because kids to him means a day in the candy store.  He knows I always let the kids bring him carrots or apples. 

Gee, how time flies.... it's late and time for bed.  See ya again next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment